Monday, December 18, 2006

Darfur

Milton Glaser's Darfur poster is getting all the buzz, but I also noticed this Darfur ad for France24 news over the weekend, which stopped me in my tracks. Though both aim to increase awareness of Darfur, they are taking very different routes. Personally, I respond more to the France24 ad, because the visual is arresting and also because it preys on my own lack of knowledge—"this is something you should know about" is more effective than "this is something you should care about" (on some level I've stopped responding to that tactic). Which do you feel is more successful?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like the france news. i'm drawn to it for the same reasons. the glaser poster is creepy... and why do i feel like i've seen it before? has it been out for a while or was there something similar?
still recovering from the "i am african" ads,
alex

1:19 PM  
Blogger kate said...

The Glaser poster is up around NYC from November 2006 through January 2007, so yeah, perhaps you've seen it around. For some reason two major design blogs featured it this weekend, which put it back on my radar just as I noticed the France24 ad...

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe GlaserĀ“s communicates better to designers and people who are much more involved with rethoric, and the second one is more effective with "common" people. I consider both are great, F24 gains in pregnancy due to the awesome image while GlaserĀ“s take a few seconds more to be understood. Nevertheless Milton Glaser RULES!!!

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anonymous, i don't think "common" has anything to do with it. though if you're going to argue in that direction, it'd be glaser pandering to the mainstream. what's more "common" than trying to manipulate people's emotions? i like what she said about the difference between knowledge and caring. i find glaser's manipulative and strange. plus, given his recent comments, he's lost some points (like mel gibson).

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer the Glaser, because I find it the more thought-provoking of the two. But I do feel that the French ad is successful as well. However, I don't think either are very interesting from a rhetorical standpoint, actually; both are pretty basic.
Jay Hawkins, I agree, "common" has nothing to do with it.

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home